A vertical vegetable garden can be the mind-blowing solution to your desire to grow your own food but the problem of a distinct lack of space.
Sometimes, you need to look at a problem from a different angle and, when it comes to growing vegetables, that means looking up.
Not every vegetable is suitable for a vertical vegetable garden, but even if you can only grow some lettuce and snow peas in your limited space, they’re going to make the best salad you’ve ever tasted.
Some of the ideas here can be put into action with items you have on hand or can buy very cheaply from either hardware store or second-hand building material.
Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
The following infographic is an excellent reference point for starting your vertical garden. Check out your favorite vegetables (‘cos why grow anything else?) and the best method for supporting them.
Source: Custom Made
A Hanging Garden of Potted Herbs
Useful and attractive, this design enables you to create a privacy screen and a source of fresh herbs for your kitchen.
Source: Deborah Silver
The clever arrangement of guttering provides both an abundance of leafy greens for salads and efficient use of water.
Simple Arbour Tunnels
Use recycled metal reinforcement rods and mesh to create an arbour for supporting all sorts of climbing vegetables.
Source: Wahsega Valley Farm
An other version of a tunnel, this time over a grassed path enables vegetables to be grown over an area unavailable for planting.
A more elaborate series of arches over the paths in a raised garden – attractive and productive.
Once again, gutters are used for both direct planting and as shelving for small potted plants.
Source: More Than Chic
Clever use of space employed for growing everyone’s favorite berry; strawberries!
Source: Remove and Replace
Hanging Gutter Garden
Excellent use of vertical space by suspending guttering from the side of a pergola: part screen, part extra garden.
Source: Goods Home Design
A Wall of Boxes
Not just an efficient use of space but seriously attractive, too.
Source: Little Green Dot
Add an extra layer to your small vegetable garden by growing sprawling plants over a hoop.
Source: Get Busy Gardening
Want to get started? Check out these best-selling vegetable garden planters
- Type: 6 Tier Stackable Vertical Planter Set
- Material: PP
- Size: overall size 96*37cm;
- Single layer size: 37.5*17cm; mobile tray size: 32*3.7cm
- Quantity: 1 set
- 【 High-Quality 】 Stackable planter is made of high-quality polypropylene plastic, 4 pots per tier, sturdy and durable, nontoxic, and nonfading. Stackable planters perfect for garden, patios, or porches to plant vegetables, flowers, herbs, strawberry.
- 【 Movable and Stackable 】 Gardening planters come with 4 flexible wheels. They are easy to move. You can combination for your need stack 2 or 3 or 5 tier. The vertical planter only needs to take a small place.
- 【 Flow-Through Design 】 You only need to water the top two levels planters, large leaking hole ensures that the upper-level planters leak water to the lower ones.
- 【 Store Water 】 The plastic plant pots have a soil holding board design, the planter can store water under the board, and the roots retrieve water through the board. You don't need to water every day. Create an excellent gardening experience for you!
- 【 Package Contains 】 Stacking planters include 5 planters, 5 holding boards, 3 planting tools accessories, 4 flexible wheels, 1 tray. 5 planters stack size: 29" Height x 13.6"Diameter.
- Vertical planter size freestanding: 45 (H) x 21 5/8 (W) x 24 (W) inches. Planter box 6 1/4 (H) x 19 1/2 (W) x 8 1/4 (D) inches.
- Removable planter box: Five (5) planter boxes are easily removable (just lift out) from frame to allow various re-arrangements and easy repotting. No more reaching too high or too low to plant your favorite arrangements. Remove the planter box and tend to your plants at your own comfort. Good for seniors to continue gardening.
- Easy assemble in minutes. Stylish plant décor. Perfect for small spaces, patio planter, balcony planter, or herb planter. The charcoal color of the frame and containers allows for your flowers colors to shine.
- Strong and durable: Frame is made of heavy duty powder coated steel frame with a fashionable finish. Garraí uses thicker metal (20 gauge compared to 24 gauge of other planters) for strength. Durable planter boxes are 100% food safe polypropylene.
- Drainage: Each planter box comes with a Root Tray Riser and drain holes to help develop a healthy root structures. The drain holes alternate sides of the planter boxes so water flows throughout the flower box. Optional drain plugs included for use indoors. Flowers and plants Not Included.
Small Space & Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
What clever tricks do you use to grow vegetables in small spaces? Let us know in the comments.
Last update on 2021-06-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API