A vertical vegetable garden can be the mind-blowing solution to your desire to grow your own food but the problem of a distinct lack of space.
Sometimes, you need to look at a problem from a different angle and, when it comes to growing vegetables, that means looking up.
Not every vegetable is suitable for a vertical vegetable garden, but even if you can only grow some lettuce and snow peas in your limited space, they’re going to make the best salad you’ve ever tasted.
Some of the ideas here can be put into action with items you have on hand or can buy very cheaply from either hardware store or second-hand building material.
For lots of other great ideas for growing your own food, follow our Grow Your Own Food board on Pinterest.
Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
The following infographic is an excellent reference point for starting your vertical garden. Check out your favorite vegetables (‘cos why grow anything else?) and the best method for supporting them.
Source: Custom Made
A Hanging Garden of Potted Herbs
Useful and attractive, this design enables you to create a privacy screen and a source of fresh herbs for your kitchen.
Source: Deborah Silver
The clever arrangement of guttering provides both an abundance of leafy greens for salads and efficient use of water.
Simple Arbour Tunnels
Use recycled metal reinforcement rods and mesh to create an arbour for supporting all sorts of climbing vegetables.
Source: Wahsega Valley Farm
An other version of a tunnel, this time over a grassed path enables vegetables to be grown over an area unavailable for planting.
A more elaborate series of arches over the paths in a raised garden – attractive and productive.
Once again, gutters are used for both direct planting and as shelving for small potted plants.
Source: More Than Chic
Clever use of space employed for growing everyone’s favorite berry; strawberries!
Source: Remove and Replace
Hanging Gutter Garden
Excellent use of vertical space by suspending guttering from the side of a pergola: part screen, part extra garden.
Source: Goods Home Design
A Wall of Boxes
Not just an efficient use of space but seriously attractive, too.
Source: Little Green Dot
Add an extra layer to your small vegetable garden by growing sprawling plants over a hoop.
Source: Get Busy Gardening
Want to get started? Check out these best-selling vegetable garden planters
- Patented Flow Through Design - Save Water - Save Space - Grow More Effieciently
- Made of Food Safe Polypropylene - Just Need To Water Top Pot
- Great For Growing Strawberries, Herbs, Flowers, Succulents, and Much More
- 5 Mr Stacky Planters Plus Bottom Saucer - W:12 x 12 x 28 V: 25 Quarts
- Gardening Made Easy! Ideal Gift Too - Made in USA
- 5 Tier Vertical Planter - 5 tier stacking planter, made of BPA-free material, can hold up to 15 different plants, such as strawberries, spinach, leaf lettuce, arugula, and mustard greens, and a few smaller herbs and flowers. Plus, it's the perfect vessel for strawberries as the berries cascade over the container lip.
- Easy Assembly - Putting the dirt in is easy and there isn't any assembly required just stake them on top of each other. Happy planting in the kitchen, balcony, and garden.
- Support Hole - Tower garden had a spot in the center for a support pole(Not Included), that's useful in a windy location, or used for hanging with an iron chain as garden decor.
- Indoor & Outdoor - There is a large rolling garden saucer on the bottom so that easy to move around indoors and outdoors, and it's a breeze to spin it to allow each of the herbs to take advantage of the sun.
- Flow Design - The water filtration system from top to bottom can save water and retain moisture but prevents overwatering or root rot. 5 filters are placed on each level to keep the soil from going through the big drainage holes, it also helps retain water in each planter level.
Small Space & Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
What clever tricks do you use to grow vegetables in small spaces? Let us know in the comments.
Remember to follow me on Pinterest and Facebook!
Last update on 2023-06-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API