A vertical vegetable garden can be the mind-blowing solution to your desire to grow your own food but the problem of a distinct lack of space.
Sometimes, you need to look at a problem from a different angle and, when it comes to growing vegetables, that means looking up.
Not every vegetable is suitable for a vertical vegetable garden, but even if you can only grow some lettuce and snow peas in your limited space, they’re going to make the best salad you’ve ever tasted.
Some of the ideas here can be put into action with items you have on hand or can buy very cheaply from either hardware store or second-hand building material.
Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
The following infographic is an excellent reference point for starting your vertical garden. Check out your favorite vegetables (‘cos why grow anything else?) and the best method for supporting them.
Source: Custom Made
A Hanging Garden of Potted Herbs
Useful and attractive, this design enables you to create a privacy screen and a source of fresh herbs for your kitchen.
Source: Deborah Silver
The clever arrangement of guttering provides both an abundance of leafy greens for salads and efficient use of water.
Simple Arbour Tunnels
Use recycled metal reinforcement rods and mesh to create an arbour for supporting all sorts of climbing vegetables.
Source: Wahsega Valley Farm
An other version of a tunnel, this time over a grassed path enables vegetables to be grown over an area unavailable for planting.
A more elaborate series of arches over the paths in a raised garden – attractive and productive.
Once again, gutters are used for both direct planting and as shelving for small potted plants.
Source: More Than Chic
Clever use of space employed for growing everyone’s favorite berry; strawberries!
Source: Remove and Replace
Hanging Gutter Garden
Excellent use of vertical space by suspending guttering from the side of a pergola: part screen, part extra garden.
Source: Goods Home Design
A Wall of Boxes
Not just an efficient use of space but seriously attractive, too.
Source: Little Green Dot
Add an extra layer to your small vegetable garden by growing sprawling plants over a hoop.
Source: Get Busy Gardening
Want to get started? Check out these best-selling vegetable garden planters
- GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD HAS NEVER BEEN EASIER – Grow seasonal varieties of vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs at home in our self-fertilizing, self-watering hydroponic garden system—no green thumb required! With our home hydroponics growing system—you’ll get serious harvests at home (like having a 40 square foot farm in a vertical garden planter). Fresh, homegrown produce: You will taste the difference
- AUTOMATED & EASY TO USE HYDROPONIC SYSTEM – Grow 12 plants at a time in this large hydroponic system for plants. The automated water distribution feature disperses water evenly to all plants (NO SOIL, NO MESS!) using 95% less water than traditional gardening. With Lettuce Grow’s easy to use hydroponics gardening system you’ll have healthy, fresh, unprocessed food year-round from a fully sustainable source
- TOWER GARDENING = SMALL FOOTPRINT, GROW ANYWHERE! – The Farmstand’s 2’ x 2’ footprint means you can take advantage of the smallest sunny spot in your backyard or balcony to use it as an outdoor hydroponics system—or use it as an indoor hydroponics system with the addition of our Glow Rings. Maximize your growing output with minimal space , and our modular, stackable plant tower garden growing system’s design makes adding levels easy.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX – Your new hydroponic system kit INCLUDES ALL THE GEAR: FARMSTAND TOWER, Water Pump, Power Cord, Timer; NUTRIENTS: Plant Food for 130+ Plants; & SUPPLIES: pH Testing Kit, pH Down for water health, stir stick, scoops; and a cute sticker. Available SEPARATELY: Seedlings & Glow Rings (if growing indoors)
- WHY LETTUCE GROW? – Made in the USA from ocean-bound plastic, one Farmstand is donated for every 10 sold. The 1-for-10 partnership reflects founders Zooey Deschanel & Jacob Pechenik’s mission to re-think food for the sake of our kids & our planet. The supportive Lettuce Grow community & customer care team welcomes you to the future of food: grow-it-yourself!
Small Space & Vertical Vegetable Garden Ideas
What clever tricks do you use to grow vegetables in small spaces? Let us know in the comments.
Last update on 2021-06-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API